Hoi, hello, bonjour my love! Welcome to my Absolute Morning routine series, where I try out Dutch nutritionist Lisa Huiskamp and other girl bosses morning routines and give my honest and quirky opinion about their start of the day.
If your morning routine could use some ‘je ne sais quoi’, check out my posts series on how entrepreneurs kick-start their day and decide for yourself if you rather press the snooze button or implement some of their tricks into your daily morning habits.
So what’s the secret sauce of Lisa Huiskamp’s daily excitement?
Lisa Huiskamp is a nutritionist with a keen focus on food, exercise, and balance. According to her own saying, those three pillars are the basics for a healthy and fit body. Lisa loves to share her healthy lifestyle on her Instagram account.
Lisa’s alarm goes off at around 7 am. By 7.30 am she chugs her bottle of lemon water before or during her hike in the park. The next 45 minutes is her moment to herself to set the intentions for the day to come. She takes her time in the morning to connect to nature. Those walks are a crucial part of her days, as it brings her peace and a chance to practice gratitude.
Next, she will prep breakfast with a cup of tea. One of her favorites is a green smoothie. Lisa likes to experiment with new trends, and juicing is hot. In less than five minutes you have a healthy and tasty smoothie. Green smoothies are the best when they are served fresh, straight from the blender. One of the tips she shares is that she has always fruits stocked in the freezer for those mornings you prefer a quick yet refreshing meal.
This is what you will need for 2 servings:
- 150 grams low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt
- 1 banana
- 1/2 zucchini
- 1 cup of spinach
- a handful of frozen mango
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- optional 1 tbsp honey
This is how you make it:
- cleanse the zucchini
- Blend zucchini, spinach, frozen mango (until the chunks are gone)
- Toss in fruit as frozen mango and banana
- Next, blend again until smooth and creamy. (add water if needed)
- Serve the smoothie immediately
- Add some toppings as desired
(Lisa picks out granola, blueberries, cocoa nibs and leftovers of a banana)
While finishing her breakfast, she will be watching the news. After that, she would brush her teeth, wash her face, and put some makeup on. Her morning routine has given her plenty of hours to start the day slowly. At 9 am, this boss lady gets into her workday at her own company the body practice .
- I know that tons of people swear by it, but lemon water tastes to me like poured lemonade into a liter of water. I am not a fan! It is less offensive than apple cider vinegar, so I still did sip it, with some mild resentment I do have to disclose this.
- Drinking water as a priority on your morning checklist is all good. It made me feel energized! Thanks, Lisa! She already has her morning water intake before her breakfast. Well done, girl boss!!
- Next up, the walk! This girl takes her time, especially me-time. Spending time alone reinforces your self-worth and is the number one way to replenish your resilience reserves. Lisa indicates in the interview that in case she skips this habit she feels unease the rest of the day. On top, her location is spot on, mother nature is a fantastic source to regain your energy.
- A workout without breakfast is not my thing. I would at least eat an energy bar before I got out there in the world and sweat. Lisa’s morning routine learned me again the lesson that it’s a struggle for me to work out on an empty stomach. I know that this can differ per person, so please do find your yam.
My takeaways of Lisa’s routine
During Lisa’s morning, I reconnected to nature. I even started a chat with some cows, which lighten up my morning and brought up some curious cows’ footage. Having my body fuelled with water first thing in the morning was a booster to me. Since then I place my water bottle on my nightstand the day before so that I am sure that drinking water is the first thing on my mind after waking up.
Best for tea lovers, those who prefer a light breakfast.
Lisa’s routine is grounded and chill.
What is your morning routine? Comment below!